MAN MAULED AFTER LEAPING INTO TIGER'S LAIR
- A visitor at a New York zoo apparently jumped out of a train taking onlookers over several animal enclosures and fell into a tiger's den where he was savagely attacked.
Officials at Bronx Zoo say the 25-year-old man was alone with an 11-year-old male tiger, weighing around 400lb, for about 10 minutes in the Wild Asia enclosure before he was rescued.
The zoo's director, Jim Breheny, said that after leaping from the visitors' train, the man fell 17ft over a perimeter fence surrounding the enclosure.
He said the victim suffered bites and wounds on his arms, legs, shoulders and back, and also a broken arm and broken leg - possibly from the jump.
He was taken to a nearby hospital in a critical condition.
- 1722 The Armenian-Georgian forces unite on Cholak field near Gandzak and await the advancing Russian forces.
- 1842 Birth of Alexander Yeritsyan (historian) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He died in 1902.
- 1918 The Bolshevik "Word" newspaper is issued in Yerevan.
- 1920 The Turkish army starts its offensive against Eastern Armenia.