CLASHES BREAK OUT BETWEEN PKK MILITANTS AND FREE SYRIAN ARMY
- Clashes broke out between the PKK militants and Free Syrian Army on the Syrian-Turkish border, Turkish newspaper Zaman reported on Wednesday.
According to the newspaper, eight PKK militants were killed during the clashes. Earlier Turkish media outlets reported that during the fighting between the Free Syrian Army (FSA) and government forces, the FSA took the Tel Abyad checkpoint located on the Turkish border with Syria under full control.
Rebels tore the country's flag from the checkpoint. It is reported that the fight for capturing the checkpoint had been waged since yesterday.
Anti-government protests have continued in Syria for a year and half.
According to UN, the total number of victims of the conflict in Syria is nearing 20,000.
More than 230,000 have become refugees with around three million in need of humanitarian assistance. The Syrian authorities say they oppose the well-armed militants.
- 1854 The allies move towards Sebastopol during the Crimean War.
- 1883 Birth of Rromanoss Melikyan (composer). He died in 1935.
- 1886 Birth of writer Aharon Tsatooryan. He died in 1965.
- 1912 Invited representatives from various Armenian social group, meeting in Tbilissi, request that the Russian government again raise the issue of the Armenian Question.
- 1918 At the Battle of Arara (Palestine), Armenian soldiers from the Eastern Legion fighting for the Allies, defeat the Turkish forces.
- 1918 The Armenian Legion, fighting on the side of the Allies, routs the Turkish forces at the battle of Arara.
- 1956 Inauguration of the Byurakan observatory.