GERMANY TO CLOSE EMBASSIES IN MUSLIM STATES
- The German Foreign Ministry plans to close embassies in Muslims states due to protests over the "Innocence of Muslims" film (US). Embassies will close in North African states, Afghanistan and Pakistan, Rosbalt reports.
Germany has decided to close embassies on September 14. German organizations will take additional security measures.
The US Embassy in Berlin was evacuated. A diplomat at the embassy's visa section had respiratory problems, supposedly caused by documents brought by an Albanian. Two other diplomats who contacted the papers had health problems.
US Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other diplomatic officials were killed in Libya's Benghazi on September 11. Protests against the film were seen in Egypt, Yemen and Iran.
- 1854 The allies check the advance in Crimea during the Crimean War.
- 1915 Start of the battle of Mount Moossa (Sooetia, Western Armenia). The battle lasted forty days and resulted in the defeat of the Turkish forces sent to carry out the Genocide of the Armenians living there. Franz Werfel's novel ("The Forty Days of Moossa Dagh") is based on this event.
- 1934 The Presidium of the Central Executive Committee of the Armenian SSR and the Council of the People's Committee create the People's Commissariat of Internal Trade.
- 1958 The Kotayk irrigation canal is operational.