PORTUGAL'S MADEIRA HIT BY FOREST FIRES
- Firefighters have been battling forest fires across the Portuguese island of Madeira for more than two days.
Dozens of people have abandoned their homes as the wildfires, which began on Wednesday, came close to settlements.
The latest evacuations have taken took place on Porto Santo, a smaller island near the main island of Madeira.
High winds are said to be hampering efforts to contain blazes on both islands.
Television footage from Porto Santo showed houses catching fire and firefighters urging residents of the village of Camacha to leave their homes, the Reuters news agency reported.
- 1797 Catholicos Ghookas Karnesi writes a letter to Tsar Paul the First, asking for help.
- 1885 Mkrtich Portoogalyan publishes the "Armenie" newspaper in Marseilles (France). It lasts till 1923.
- 1885 M. Portoogalian publishes the "Armenia" weekly in Marseilles (France).
- 1891 Death of writer Garegin Beshgyeotyoorian ("Sring").
- 1914 Secret military treaty is signed between Germany and Turkey in Constantinople.
- 1928 Birth of Minas Avetissyan (artist). He was murdered by the Soviet Police in 1975.
- 1955 Death of Galoost Qelpenjian.
- 1965 Death of Armen Armenian. He was born in 1871.