MAN JAILED FOR PRAISING TOULOUSE GUNMAN
- A French court has sentenced a 20-year-old man from the same neighbourhood as extremist gunman Mohamed Merah to three months in prison for praising his crimes, prosecutors in Toulouse said today.
Mohamed Redha Ghezali was convicted yesterday of "provoking racial hatred" and "apology for terrorism" and Toulouse prosecutor Michel Valet said the conviction was a signal that authorities would not tolerate any statements supporting Merah's crimes.
Ghezali was arrested last week in the Toulouse area of Les Izards a few hours after Merah was shot dead in a hail of bullets after a 32-hour siege that followed his killings of three soldiers and three children and a teacher at a Jewish school.
The Depeche du Midi reported that while haranguing a group of police officers, he said: "My mate Mohamed, that's a real man. It's too bad he didn't have time to finish the job."
- 1In the center of Yerevan, in the neighborhood of St. Anna, will be positioned statue great Armenian benefactor Alexander Mantashyants, informs Municipality of Yerevan. Author of the statue is RA renowned ...
- 1804 Birth of the Hungarian-Armenian armenologist, church and public figure Kristof Lookachin (Khachik Lookachian or Ghukasian). He frequently raised the issue in the Austro-Hungarian Government and the Pope to free Armenians from Latin bishops' power and to reestablish the Armenian bishopric.
- 1805 Russian forces occupy Artik (Sultanate of Shoragyal).
- 1827 The Armenian Volunteer Corps Military Parade takes place in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1828 Creation of New Bayazet. From 1959, it was called Kamo. Presently it is known as Gavarr.
- 1856 Signature of the Paris Treaty to end the Crimean War.
- 1909 Sultan Hameed was dethroned in Constantinople.
- 1933 The Children's Park is founded in the place of Yerevan's old market place (Ghanthar).
- 1935 Death of Rromanoss Melikyan (composer) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He was born in 1883.
- 1943 Nelson Stepanyan (pilot, war hero) arrives in Yerevan.
- 1998 The Municipal Council of Venice condemns the Armenian Genocide of 1915 and expresses its solidarity with the Armenians, historical truth, and the defence of human rights.
- 1998 Robert Kocharian was elected President of Armenia in the second round of the Presidential elections, with 59 % of the votes.