ARMENIAN COMMUNITY HAS HOPES WITH F. HOLLAND
- Representative of Armenian Cause office of France Mourad Papazyan noted today during the press conference that the two presidential candidates Nikolkas Sarkozy and Francois Holland are competing to get some affection from the Armenian community, taking into consideration the fact that they can be void of the Armenians' votes.
He noted that the French media considers Sarkozy's actions in the pre-electoral context, which, according to Papazyan, is unacceptable as connecting the Genocide issue with the elections is wrong.
He also noted that Sarkozy made serious announcements in Yerevan but, in fact, his actions did not coincide with his words.
"We already have the Sarkozy experience, he promised something but did not follow it. We also have Holland's experience that he had promised to make a path for that bill. Unfortunately, it is a fact that after they are elected as president they do not realize their promises", said ARF representative.
- 554 The Ecclesiastic Assembly in Dvin condemns the Chalcedonian Creed and irrevocably breaks off its relations with the Byzantine "Universal" Church.
- 1001 The architect Trdat, finished the construction of the Main Church of Ani.
- 1592 Birth of Nahapet Koochak. He was Armenia's first troubadour.
- 1827 The first Armenian voluntary brigade was formed in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1899 Birth of benefactor Calouste Gulbenkian in Constantinople. He was a Petroleum Engineer. He founded the Petroleum Benevolent Union in Turkey. In 1930, he was voted President of the Armenian General Benevolent Union. Calouste Gulbenkian died in July 1955 in Lisbon.
- 1912 Death of Gabriel Soondookyan (playwright) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He was born in 1825.
- 1914 The Armenian History and Archeology Association is created in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1918 Birth of Charles Hrach Papaz, Armenian-American radiophysicist, member of the American Physics and Mathematics Associations and the Electronic Engineers Institute. He is an overseas member of the Armenian National Academy of Science.
- 1921 The first Armenian Art House opened in Tbilissi. It was called after the great writer, Vahan Terian. The president was another great writer, Hovhannes Toomanian.
- 1971 Death of famous actor of the roles of Zimzimov, Iago and Nazar the Brave, Avet Avetisian (Voskanyan).
- 1992 Azeri Turk forces attack Stepanakert from Shooshee, Ghaybalu, Janhasan and Kiosalar. They are defeated and thrown back.