EU FOREIGN MINISTERS AGREE IRAN SANCTIONS LEGAL TEXT
- European Union foreign ministers formally signed off on a legal text enforcing the Iran sanctions they agreed in January, the European Council said Friday.
The legal text, which took two months to agree and, according to diplomats, runs to 338 pages sets out the details of how an oil embargo on Iran and sanctions on the central bank and other Iranian entities will work.
The finalizing of the text, which is expected to be published in the EU's official journal by Monday, comes after some exemptions were agreed late Thursday allowing European companies to insure some shipments of Iranian oil exports until July 1. That's the date when the full oil embargo comes into effect.
The legal text will also detail the exemptions on dealing with Iran's central bank. Some exemptions will be allowed to permit legitimate, non-oil related change.
The ratcheting up of sanctions on Iran were agreed in January amid growing concerns about the Islamic Republic's nuclear program.
The U.S. and some EU member states say Iran is seeking to develop nuclear weapons, a charge Tehran denies.
Talks on the nuclear issue are set to begin in the "next few weeks," U.K. foreign secretary William Hague said Friday.
- 1886 Birth of Tsolak Khanzadian, linguist and translator. He died in Moscow, and is buried in Yerevan.
- 1887 Birth of Aristakes Vardanian, linguist and philologist. When he was 23, he become a monk of the Mkhitarist Congregation. He died in 1941.
- 1898 Death of Tigran Tshookhadjiyan - composer and creator of the first Armenian opera - in Smyrna. (He was born in 1836).
- 1904 Birth of composer and important artistic figure, Levon Khoja-Eynatian in Tbilissi.
- 1908 Tachat Terlemezian executes Davo, the traitor.
- 1923 Death of Hovhannes Toomanyan (writer) in Moscow (Russia). He was born in 1869.
- 1929 Birth of Rafael Chmshkian, famous weightlifter, world record-holder, international trainer, European and Helsinki Olympic Games champion.
- 1937 Abolition of the Transcausasian Federation.
- 1937 The 9th Extraordinary Congress of the Armenian SSR confirms the New Constitution for Armenia.
- 1954 The National Congress of Armenia's village doctors opens in Yerevan.
- 1956 Death of actor Goorgen Gabrielyan.
- 1966 Creation of the Armenian Radio and Television Symphonic Orchestra headed by Ohan Doorian.