DAVID NALBANDIAN IN DAVIS CUP QUARTER FINAL
- Argentina and Croatia are meeting for a third time with both their previous encounters also coming at this stage of the competition in 2002 and 2006. On each previous occasion the tie has come down to the smallest of margins with Argentina coming out on top by virtue of a fifth rubber victory.
The Argentine team holds the record for most number of finals contested without winning the trophy and that continued in 2011 when they were defeated by Spain at the final hurdle. Their attempt to rid themselves of this unfortunate statistic began in comprehensive fashion against Germany romping to a 4-1 win.
Croatia has not lost on their travels since a match in Great Britain back in 2007, although they have only played two away ties in this time. In contrast to the ease with which Argentina won, the Balkan nation faced a stiff task travelling to Hyogo, Japan. Ivo Karlovic was their hero in the fifth rubber, having also won his opening singles and paired with Ivan Dodig for doubles success, as they took a 3-2 victory.
- 1750 First publication in Constantinople of the complete works of Narek, by Archbishop Minas, Patriarch of Jerusalem.
- 1857 Birth of Sheeram (Greegor Talian), troubadour, composer and one of the founders of the Armenian minstrel music genre.
- 1860 Birth of Vardges Soorenyants in Akhaltskha. He was an artist, translator, and fine-arts scholar.
- 1876 Birth of Hrachia Acharyan (linguist) in Constantinople. He died in 1953.
- 1887 Birth of Hovsep Orbeli (scientist) in Kutais. He died in 1961.
- 1920 Azeri Turkish forces attack Gharabagh.
- 1972 Creation of the Armenian News Agency (Armenpress).