AZERBAIJAN ARRESTS IRANIAN JOURNALIST
- Police in Azerbaijan have arrested a journalist working for Iranian television on drugs charges, his brother said on Sunday, amid rising tensions between the two neighbours.
Anar Bayramli was arrested at his home in Baku on Friday, his brother Eldar Bayramli told AFP.
"They said my brother was detained in connection with drugs, but that is not logical. He does not even smoke cigarettes," Eldar Bayramli said.
The journalist works for Iran's Sahar television station, which has been accused of broadcasting propaganda into Azerbaijani territory.
His brother said that before the arrest, the reporter had also been summoned to the police station several times recently and questioned about his politics.
Tensions between the Islamic republic and its mainly Muslim but officially secular neighbour have increased in recent months, with anger in Tehran about Baku's friendly links with Israel and accusations from Azerbaijan that Iran has been sponsoring Islamic radicals on its territory.
- 1728 Death of General Davit Bek.
- 1862 Defense of Van against Turkish exactions and terrorism.
- 1904 Birth of Abraham Alikhanov in Tbilisi (Georgia). He became a physicist and an academician of the USSR. In 1940, he organized the first expedition to Mount Elbrus to explore Cosmic Rays. He made many basic discoveries in this area.
- 1908 Inauguration of the Ulukhanlu-Julfa railroad.
- 1936 Death of Alexander Tamanyan (architect) in Yerevan. He was born in 1878.
- 1940 Death of public figure Stepan Yessayan. He was one of the founders of "Pan-National" Cultural Organization of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation Party.
- 1988 The Autonomous Region (oblast) of Nagorno Gharabagh applies to the Supreme Soviets of Armenia, Azerbaijan and the USSR to consider and resolve positively the question of handing over Nagorno Karabagh from Soviet Azerbaijan to Soviet Armenia.
- 1988 The Regional Council of Deputies from Artsakh decides to be reintegrated with Armenia.