SYRIAN AMBASSADOR TO IRAQ DEFECTS
- Syria's ambassador to Iraq, Nawaf al-Fares, has defected from the Syrian government, CNN reported, citing members of the the Syrian National Council opposition group
Al-Fares would be the highest-ranking diplomat to defect since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad's regime.
According to Dr. Hassan Chalabi, a Syrian National Council member, al-Fares is "currently making his way to a safe area."
Chalabi said he was working closely with his contacts in Iraq to coordinate with al-Fares to secure his safety. Another SNC member, Emad-eddin al-Rashid, has told CNN that al-Fares is still in Iraq.
The Iraqi government has not reportedly commented on the news. It follows the apparent defection last week of a senior military figure, Brig. Gen. Manaf Tlas, in a protest of the killing of Sunnis.
- 1706 First publication of the "Harsmavoork" periodical in Grigor Marzovantsi's publishing house (Constantinople).
- 1886 Birth of Missak Metsarents (poet). He died in 1908.
- 1904 The Mossoon and Zor battles took place under the leadership of Gayl Vahan and Mihran.
- 1905 After the defeat of Russian forces in the Russo - Japanese War, the Tsar proclaimed an edict on the confiscation of the Etshmiadsin church estates.
- 1906 Death of Heinrich Geltser, German armenologist. He was born in 1847.
- 1906 Death of the German armenologist Heinrich Helzer. He was born in 1847.