HARSNAQAR OWNER WAS NOT IN RESTAURANT WHEN GUARDS BEAT THE DOCTOR - POLICE
- The tragic incident in Harsnaqar was not eye-witnessed by the restaurant's owner, President of the Football Federation of Armenia (FFA) Ruben Hayrapetyan, an interrogation has revealed.
Arsen Ayvazyan, the head of the Chief Investigative Department of the Police, told a news conference on Tuesday that Hayrapetyan was not on the premises of the restaurant when security guards assaulted military doctor Vahe Avetyan and two of his colleagues amid a major scuffle.
"Ruben Hayrapetyan was in Sevan that day. He visited the Harsnaqar restaurant-complex at 19:30 and stayed there for about 30 minutes. He then went to the Football Academy situated nearby," he said, adding that Hayrapetyan was interrogated as a witness on Friday.
Ayvazyan dismissed the reports that one of the accused, Garik Margaryan, is Hayrapetyan's personal bodyguard. He said they all are registered employees of the restaurant, adding that some of them occasionally accompanied the Football Federation president.
Ayvazyan further told journalists that they have asked the court for permission to unscramble the phone conversations of Margaryan and all the other accused to find out whether Hayrapetyan had instructed them to take any action at the time of the incident.
"The probe into the unscrambled records is still in progress," he said.
Avagyan added that no video records featuring the scuffle are available as none of the cameras on the restaurant's territory was equipped with recording devices.
Security guards at the Harsnaqar restaurant-complex mercilessly beat Avetyan on June 17, -inflicting a serious brain damage on him. The doctor was hospitalized in a critical condition and died twelve days later, without coming to consciousness.
- 1402 Tamerlane defeats Sultan Bayazet and makes him a slave.
- 1841 The Armenian quarter of Smyrna is set on fire by Turks.
- 1855 Stepan Voskanian publishes the semi-annual "East" review in Paris (it folds in 1856).
- 1921 The Bolsheviks occupy Mountainous Armenia, the last fort of Armenian resistance.
- 1936 Opening of Yerevan's carbide factory.
- 1957 Creation of the Chemical Research Institute (National Economic Council of the Armenian SSR).