PARLIAMENT SPEAKER DECLINES PROPOSAL TO MEET POLICE OVER HARSNAQAR INCIDENT
- The speaker of Armenia's National Assembly, Hovik Abrahamyan, has declined the parliamentary groups' proposal to meet with the policemen conducting a probe into the recent clashes outside the Harsnaqar restaurant.
Parliamentarians from the Prosperous Armenia party (PAP), the opposition Armenian Revolutionary Federation-Dashnaksutyun (ARF-D), the opposition alliance Armenian National Congress (ANC) and the Heritage party, had asked the parliament speaker to discuss the incident jointly with the police.
The clashes between police and peaceful protesters broke out on Sunday night when the crowd gathered outside Harsnaqar to commemorate Vahe Avetyan, the military doctor severely beaten to death by the security guards of the restaurant.
Abrahamyan responded in a statement that he refrains from any intervention in the police operations while the inquest is under way. The spokesperson for the Prosecutor General's Office, Sona Truzyan, later told Tert.am that they haven't so far received any notice from the parliament speaker in this connection.
- 1402 Tamerlane defeats Sultan Bayazet and makes him a slave.
- 1841 The Armenian quarter of Smyrna is set on fire by Turks.
- 1855 Stepan Voskanian publishes the semi-annual "East" review in Paris (it folds in 1856).
- 1921 The Bolsheviks occupy Mountainous Armenia, the last fort of Armenian resistance.
- 1936 Opening of Yerevan's carbide factory.
- 1957 Creation of the Chemical Research Institute (National Economic Council of the Armenian SSR).