ACTIVISTS GATHER OUTSIDE HARSNAQAR OWNER'S HOUSE TO COMMEMORATE DECEASED DOCTOR
- As yesterday marked the seventh day of military doctor Vahe Avetyan's tragic death, several activists held a peaceful protest outside the house of Ruben Hayrapetyan, an MP of the ruling Republican Party and the owner of Harsnaqar restaurant, where the doctor was beaten mercilessly by security guards.
A former human rights defender and an ex-lawmaker of the opposition Heritage party, Larisa Alaverdyan, delivered a speech, condemning the deadly incident.
"We have detached ourselves from human values so much that we did not even manage to hold the candlelight vigil according to our traditions," she said.
Alaverdyan noted that the police had prevented the crowd from holding the ceremony without noise.
She called for respecting Avetyan's memory in what she called a terrifying silence.
"Never offend policemen even if they have to obey an unlawful order. The movement has now begun, so we are going to have the country of our dreams. But no policeman is our enemy," she said, blaming the existing flaws on the regime.
Alaverdyan added that the doctor died in a way not fitting an Armenian man.
"Being rich in a poor country is a shame. Let's observe a five-minute silence in front of the police," she told the crowd.
Her speech was followed by minute silence, with both the police and the protest organizers standing on the site, with their backs turned on Hayrapetyan's house.
It was after midnight that our correspondent said the protest was over and the crowd was splitting apart.
- 1881 Dr. Levon Tigranyan starts publishing the "Health" monthly.
- 1902 Death of Arsen Aytnyan (armenologist). He was born in 1825.
- 1914 Death of sculptor Yervand Voskanian.
- 1936 Murder by the Soviet Police of Aghassi Khandjyan (First Secretary of the Central Committee of Armenia's Communist Party) in Tbilisi.
- 1937 Death of actor Hovhannes Zarifian.