SYRIAN CRISIS TO DRAG ON FOR YEARS - ARMENIAN EXPERT
- The resolution of the Syrian crisis will be a long drawn-out process, its impact already being tangible on the region and other countries worldwide, an Armenian expert has said.
"A civil conflict may drag on for years but no resolution is visible, at least in the coming year," Suren Manukyan, an Arab studies specialist, told a news conference on Friday.
The latest impressive development, according to him, was the shooting out of the Turkish plane by the Syria air troops.
"It is not the first plane to transgress the Syrian [air] border," he said. "The incident implies that the Syrians are making a gesture in an attempt to let them know that they are going to adopt a hard line on the neighbors, without any intention to look upon this kind of incidents through fingers," he said.
Manukyan noted that the move demonstrated West's unpreparedness for such policies.
"This incident will not cause a war but it will demonstrate that they are more resolutely disposed, enjoying Russia's evident support," he said.
The expert noted that Russia considers elections the only way out of the Syrian crisis.
The Russian stance implies snap presidential polls in the country but they won't be held unless President Bashar al-Assad is convinced he will be re-elected, Manukyan said.
As for the West, he said they are seeking to topple Assad by triggering a financial crisis, rather than a war.
"Syria is already experiencing serious financial difficulties," Manukyan added.
- 1825 Birth of Gabriel Soondookyan (playwright) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He died in 1912.
- 1889 Birth of Axel Bakunts (writer). He was murdered by the Armenian Soviet Secret Police in 1937.
- 1913 Start of Second Balkan War (to August 10). Turkey seizes and occupies Greek and Bulgarian territories.
- 1927 Kalinin (President of the Central Executive Committee of the USSR) arrives in Armenia.
- 1927 Death of Byuzand Qechian, co-worker of the "Byuzandion" daily and editor of "Arevelk", "Lrageer" and "Massiss".
- 1999 Death of Holy Father, His Holiness Garegin I (Nshan Sargissyan) Catholicos of All Armenians, the 131st Spiritual Leader of Armenian Holy Apostolic Church. He was born in 1932 in Kesap (Syria).