BLAST HALTS IRAN'S NATURAL GAS SUPPLY TO TURKEY
- An explosion targeting a pipeline in eastern Turkey has cut off Iranian natural gas shipments to the country, AFP reported, citing Turkish sources.
The blast occured at 23:00 GMT Wednesday in an area between villages of Hidirli and Kalender in the eastern province of Agri, said Anatolia.
The gas shipments were halted after the blast but the pipeline is expected to be back in operation within four to five days after maintenance, it added.
Turkey receives 27 million cubic metres of gas a day via the Iranian pipeline.
Officials did not identify any perpetrators but Kurdish rebels fighting for a homeland were widely seen as the main suspects.
The outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) is regarded as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the European Union and the United States.
- 1825 Birth of Gabriel Soondookyan (playwright) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He died in 1912.
- 1889 Birth of Axel Bakunts (writer). He was murdered by the Armenian Soviet Secret Police in 1937.
- 1913 Start of Second Balkan War (to August 10). Turkey seizes and occupies Greek and Bulgarian territories.
- 1927 Kalinin (President of the Central Executive Committee of the USSR) arrives in Armenia.
- 1927 Death of Byuzand Qechian, co-worker of the "Byuzandion" daily and editor of "Arevelk", "Lrageer" and "Massiss".
- 1999 Death of Holy Father, His Holiness Garegin I (Nshan Sargissyan) Catholicos of All Armenians, the 131st Spiritual Leader of Armenian Holy Apostolic Church. He was born in 1932 in Kesap (Syria).