ARMENIAN HISTORIAN ON NATIONAL VALUES
- Historian Alik Gharibyan calls for promoting a national upbringing in the Armenian society, considering the measure very important in terms of establishing state values.
"As [Armenian national hero and statesman] Garegin Nzheh would say, it is necessary to think about a state upbringing. National holidays have to be sanctified through generations; otherwise, we will have serious problems ," he told today a news conference devoted to the Day of National Symbols.
The expert proposed declaring June 15 a real holiday like the First and Second Republic Days which are celebrated annually on May 28 and September 21.
He stressed the importance of introducing a special flag ceremony in secondary schools to breed patriotism in the younger generation.
"A pupil entering the classroom has to see the flag hoisted every day. Even though s/he may be doing bad at school, that will be very effective in terms of developing patriotism," he said, referring to other countries' practices.
Gharibyan noted that the Armenian state symbols, coat of arms and flag have a history and are closely associated with the nation's fate.
- 1826 Sultan Mahmud the Second orders the killing of the Janissaries in Constantinople and later, in the provinces.
- 1889 Birth of Yervand Kochar (painter, architect). He died in 1979.
- 1906 Opening of the Second Congress of Armenian Teachers in Tbilissi (Georgia). It founded the Teachers' Union.
- 1915 The Turkish government hangs 21 leaders of the Hnchak Party in Constantinople's Bayazet square.
- 1927 Death of commander Moorad Petrosian (Kronqtsi).
- 1960 Meeting of Communist Work Brigades and "Shock Labor Forces" in Yerevan.
- 1988 The Supreme Soviet of Soviet Armenia approves the 1988 02 20 petition by the Autonomous Region of Nagorno Gharabagh to rejoin Armenia and asks the Soviet Government to rule positively in this case.