NATURE PROTECTION MINISTER ON GOLD MINE EXPLOITATION
- Minister of Nature Protection Aram Harutyunyan has given two weeks' time to Geoteam CJSC and the environmental NGOs to consider possibilities of exploiting the gold mine in Amulsar town.
The decision was made on Wednesday at a discussion attended by the CEO of Lydian International (the founder of Geoteam), Tim Caughlin.
Speaking at the meeting, the company's chief said they will apply up-to-date methods while operating the gold mine. He noted that the environmental impact in the plant has been reduced to a minimum.
Caughlin characterized the initiative as an introduction of innovative experience that envisages the launching of a social security package. He unveiled plans to promote the development of new farms, promising to plant poplars and birches along the roadways in future.
The company had been initially given a territory of 24.6 hectares, but it later submitted a project for extending the mine.
Geoteam CJSC is an Armenian mineral exploration and development company, specialising in discovering new mineral deposits in Armenia. Geoteam CJSC is a 95% owned subsidiary of Lydian International Limited. Geoteam CJSC was incorporated in 2005 and after an extensive campaign of geological exploration in Armenia discovered what is now its flagship project; the Amulsar mountain.
Amulsar is a brand new gold discovery, the first for over 20 years in Armenia. It is located along a high ridge top between the Vayots Dzor and Syunik provinces.
- 1A Sri Lanka hen has given birth to a chick without an egg, in a new twist on the age-old question of whether the chicken or the egg came first, BBC News reported. Instead of passing out of the hen's ...
AZERBAIJAN CONTINUES ACQUIRING WEAPONRY, BUT HOPES FOR PEACEFUL SETTLEMENT OF KARABAKH CONFLICT - ALIYEV
- 1895 The ambassadors from England, France and Russia present a program of reforms (for the six Armenian provinces of Western Armenia), to the Ottoman Turkish government.
- 1920 At the meeting of the Entente States in San Remo (Italy) it was suggested to give a mandate over Armenia through the good offices of President Woodrow Wilson.
- 1932 The Ministries of Heavy and Light Industries, and of Forestry are created in Armenia.
- 1944 Creation of the Administration of Architectural Affairs in the Armenian SSR.
- 1958 Death of singer Haiganoosh Danielian. She was born in 1893.
- 1990 The Cypriot Parliament adopts a special motion condemning the Armenian Genocide.
- 2000 Death of painter Grigor Khanjyan. He was born in 1926 in Yerevan.