NATO TROOPS ALREADY IN SYRIA - STRATFOR
- Undercover Nato troops are already in Syria despite denials from their parent governments, according to a leaked brief from a highly-placed analyst. The information comes from a hacked email from leading private US intelligence agency Stratfor, whose correspondence has been released by Wikileaks since February 27, Rt.com reported. The email is thought to be written from the address of Reva, the company's director of analysis, for internal use, and details a confidential Pentagon meeting in December. The consultation is alleged to have been attended by senior analysts from the US Air Force, and representatives from its chief allies, France and the United Kingdom. Western powers have categorically denied military involvement in Syria's internal conflict, for which they have no international mandate. But if the information contained in the letter is reliable, a radically different picture of Western activity in Syria emerges.
The author of the letter claims that US officials "said without saying that SOF [special operation forces] teams (presumably from the US, UK, France, Jordan and Turkey) are already on the ground, focused on recce [reconnaissance] missions and training opposition forces." A little later the US army experts expand on the role of the undercover commandos: "the idea 'hypothetically' is to commit guerrilla attacks, assassination campaigns, try to break the back of the Alawite forces, elicit collapse from within." Alawites are a minority Islamic sect, to which Syrian President Bashar Assad and his support base belong. For the past year he has battled an insurrection that has united a range of opponents, from pro-democracy activists to radical Sunni Muslims.
There have been previous allegations of a Western presence on the side of the rebels and on Monday 13 French officers were reportedly captured by the loyalist forces.
Despite the commandos' already wide remit, the email states that the US experts "stress that this is all being done as contingency planning, not as a move toward escalation."
If confirmed, the information will give ammunition to Russia and China, who have accused Western powers of paving the way for an invasion of Syria. These fears have already been cited as the reasons the two countries vetoed the US-backed UN resolution on Syria in February.
- 1Undercover Nato troops are already in Syria despite denials from their parent governments, according to a leaked brief from a highly-placed analyst. The information comes from a hacked email from leading ...
- 1837 Birth of Gevorg Chumshkyan (actor). He died in 1915.
- 1880 Creation of "Hayuhyats" Benevolent Association in Tbilissi. It supported 10 parish schools and a kindergarten in Tbilissi. It operated for about 40 years.
- 1895 Sargis Kukunyan and his friends are exiled to Siberia and Sakhalin. He died in 1913, in Orlo's prison.
- 1896 Birth, in Tbilissi, of the actress Olga Maysoorian, one of the founders of Armenian state drama in Tbilissi.
- 1903 Birth of Constantine Lazarev, Major-General of the Soviet Army. In World War Two, he was Chief of Headquarters and Division Commander.
- 1923 Presentation of Armen Tigranian's "Anush" opera in Yerevans State Theatre with the composer at the podium.
- 1929 Birth of theatre and movie actor Edgar Elbakian. He died on 1988 08 31.
- 1948 Death of Stepan Ghambaryan, Armenian chemist and professor at Yerevan State University.