BAKO SAHAKYAN: ALL-ARMENIAN FUND'S CONTRIBUTION IS INVALUABLE
- President of the Nagorno-Karabakh (Artsakh) Republic Bako Sahakyan has congratulated his Armenian counterpart on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the Hayastan All-Armenian Fund. In his congratulatory address to President Serzh Sargsyan (who is the chairman of the Fund's Trusteeship Board), Sahakyan particularly praises the Fund's invaluable assistance in the efforts to build and develop the two Armenian republics by the joint efforts of Armenians from around the world. "Over the 20 years of its existence, the foundation has implemented a large number of road-construction, water supply, education and healthcare projects that were of key importance for our nation. I once again congratulate you and all the members of your trusteeship board, our benefactors and donors on this glorious anniversary, wishing you a great success and news achievements towards the accomplishment of this patriotic mission," reads his congratulatory address
© AUAToday in Armenian history
- 1842 Birth of the great Armenian benefactor, petroleum magnat Alexander Mantashian in Tbilissi. He made donations to the Church (Ejmiadsin) and founded schools in Constantinople, Tbilissi, and Kareen -among other places. He also built the new building of the Nersisian School.
- 1872 The "Union for Salvation" is formed in Van (Western Armenia).
- 1878 Treaty of San Stefano signed between Russia and Turkey. Article 16 of the San Stefano Treaty guaranteed the security of Armenians in Western Armenia under the Turkish Empire. Article 61 of the Treaty of Berlin, however, annuled these guarantees and the majority of the Armenian lands were given to the Turks.
- 1905 Start of the Armenian - Tatar War.
- 1918 Signature of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk between Russia and Germany.
- 1918 Signnature of the Russian - Turkish supplemental treaty in connection with the Peace Treaty between Russia, on the one hand, and Germany, Austria - Hungary, Bulgaria and Turkey on the other.
- 1920 The Boshevik "Workers' Struggle" Armenian newspaper is published in New Nakhichevan (Rostov, Russia).
- 1930 Opening of the National Seminary.
- 1935 Birth of writer Hrant Matevossyan.
- 1943 The first volume of the novel "Vardanank", written by Derenik Demirchyan, is published during World War 2 (the Great Patriotic War). Soldiers passed it from hand to hand on the front.
- 1953 Opening of the Armenian Manuscript Depository: the Matenadaran (Architect - Mark Grigoryan). The Matenadaran has more than 13 000 ancient manuscripts and more than 100 000 archived documents.
- 1955 Hovhannes Issakov is promoted to Admiral of the Fleet (USSR).
- 1958 Yerevan's Matenadaran (Manuscript Depository) is declared a Research Institute.