US, ISRAEL COORDINATE STEPS ON IRAN
- The United States and Israel are coordinated on steps being taken to combat Iran's perceived nuclear threat and the two allies have been planning to ensure "all other options" are available, the US ambassador to Israel said on Thursday.
According to Chicago Tribune, Ambassador Dan Shapiro said that both countries were hoping the economic sanctions in place would persuade Iran to abandon its nuclear ambitions, and they were having a "significant effect" but had not yet achieved their goal.
"It is clear that Iran is under significant economic strain ... (but the sanctions have) not yet achieved the goal, which is to get that nuclear program stopped ... for both us and for Israel this is the preferred strategy, to achieve that all-important objective," he told US-Jewish community leaders.
Shapiro added: "It's also true, as the president has said ... we are coordinated with our Israeli partners ... that other options, all other options, are on the table to achieve that goal ... the necessary planning has been done to ensure that those options are actually available if at any time they become necessary."
- 1931 Death of ethnologist Yervand Lalayan in Yerevan. He was born in 1864.
- 1932 Birth of Michel Legrand (Armenian-French Composer).
- 1938 Birth of Ara Vahoonee in Yerevan. He was an actor, Armenian State Prize Laureate, and film producer.
- 1975 Death of Minas Avetissyan (artist). He was murdered by the Soviet Police. He was born in 1928.