BAKO SAHAKYAN CONGRATULATES PEOPLE ON REVIVAL DAY
- President of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (NKR, Artsakh) Bako Sahakyan has congratulated his people on the country's Revival Day. The full text of his congratulatory address is below: Dear compatriots,
On behalf of the republic's authorities and myself, I cordially congratulate you on the Artsakh Revival Day. February 20, 2012 was written in golden letters in our new history becoming one of the glorious pages of the chronicle of the Artsakh national-liberation movement. The Armenian people's long-lasting struggle reached its Zenith. Taking into consideration the fundamental principle of people's right to free self-determination, we tried to bring our just and legal voice heard by the international community.
Being unshakable in the decision taken, the proud people of Artsakh, together with Armenia and the Armenians worldwide, were capable to confront the Azerbaijani-unleashed cruel war and undertook the difficult task of building an independent statehood. Guiding ourselves by the universal norms of international law, we realized our natural right to self-determination and took our worthy place in the regional and international processes. Step-by-step, our state government system came into existence, with democratic institutions being built and free market economy - established. Today we can say that we have a steadily developing state, regular and efficient army, and healthy civil society. We must preserve and strengthen further these achievements of our independence every day and every hour. It is the duty of each and every one of us.
Dear people of Artsakh,
I once again congratulate all of us and wish peace, prosperity, further success to the glory of free and independent Artsakh and our heroic people.
- 1728 Death of General Davit Bek.
- 1862 Defense of Van against Turkish exactions and terrorism.
- 1904 Birth of Abraham Alikhanov in Tbilisi (Georgia). He became a physicist and an academician of the USSR. In 1940, he organized the first expedition to Mount Elbrus to explore Cosmic Rays. He made many basic discoveries in this area.
- 1908 Inauguration of the Ulukhanlu-Julfa railroad.
- 1936 Death of Alexander Tamanyan (architect) in Yerevan. He was born in 1878.
- 1940 Death of public figure Stepan Yessayan. He was one of the founders of "Pan-National" Cultural Organization of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation Party.
- 1988 The Autonomous Region (oblast) of Nagorno Gharabagh applies to the Supreme Soviets of Armenia, Azerbaijan and the USSR to consider and resolve positively the question of handing over Nagorno Karabagh from Soviet Azerbaijan to Soviet Armenia.
- 1988 The Regional Council of Deputies from Artsakh decides to be reintegrated with Armenia.