SYRIA RALLIES IN SUPPORT OF ARMY DEFECTORS
- Syrian opposition activists have called for mass rallies in support of the Free Syrian Army, a group of army defectors seeking to topple the government, BBC News reported.
Demonstrations are reportedly already taking place in Aleppo, Deir al-Zour, Homs, Hama, Idlib and Damascus.
One activist group said eight civilians had been killed, two of them children.
On Thursday, the Free Syrian Army and the main opposition coalition, the Syrian National Council, agreed to co-ordinate their operations more closely.
An SNC statement said a liaison office would be set up with the FSA to "maintain direct communications around the clock".
The groups also agreed to devise a plan which would include "the reorganisation of FSA units and brigades, and the creation of a format to accommodate within FSA ranks additional officers and soldiers, especially senior military officials, who side with the revolution", the SNC added.
The SNC initially opposed the use of force in the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad, while the FSA operated independently.
- 1832 The first Armenian newspaper of Constantinople "Lragir Metsi Terutian Osmanian" was published until 1883.
- 1858 Publication of "Hyusisapayl" newspaper by S. Nazariants in Moscow (it lasted until 1864).
- 1860 Publication, in Tbilissi, of the "Krunk Hayots Ashkharhi" (Crane of the Armenian World) periodical. The editor was M. Aghabekyan.
- 1865 First publication of the "Sion" Periodical, the Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem's official organ.
- 1878 Russian forces occupy the district of San-Stefano in Constantinople.
- 1883 First publication of the children's illustrated Eastern-Armenian "Aghbyoor" magazine in Tbilissi (editor T. Nazarian).
- 1887 Birth of the scholar, linguist, professor and author Arakel Arakelian in Askeran.
- 1897 Birth of Anna Aslan (Aslanian), physician, geriatrician, academician, professor in Romania. She founded the geriatric school in Romania.
- 1912 Birth of linguist, philologist Dr. Prof. Sahak Bazian in Western Armenia (Shatakh).
- 1913 Birth of philologist and linguist Dr. Prof. Grigor Grigorian in Ghookasavan (Masseess region).
- 1919 Death, in Western Europe, of K. Kostanian, author, philologist and historian. His works deal with medieval Armenian history, pagan beliefs, and armenology.
- 1920 The publication of Constantinople's Extraordinary Military Court's statement on the perpetrators of the murder and deportation of Kharbert's Armenians.
- 1923 Birth of sculptor Khachatoor Iskandarian in Yerevan.
- 1925 Birth of Marcel Martirosian in Marseilles. He was a Doctor of Technical Sciences.
- 1933 Birth of Dr. Karlen Karamian in Yerevan. He was a civil engineer.
- 1976 Yervand Kochar is awarded the title of Peoples' Artist of the USSR.
- 1990 Start of the massacres and expulsion of 200000 Armenians in Baku by forces of the Baku-Moscow axis.