ZANZIBAR FERRY CAPSIZES, KILLING DOZENS
- Rescuers were scheduled to resume their search Friday morning for survivors of a ferry that sank off the Tanzanian island of Zanzibar, killing 60 people and leaving more than 80 people unaccounted for, the Red Cross said, according to CNN.
As night fell Thursday, crews halted their search until the next morning, the Red Cross said.
The vessel with about 290 people aboard -- including 31 children -- capsized near Zanzibar on Wednesday, according to a spokesman for the agency's office in Tanzania.
About 145 people have been found alive, and rescue operations are ongoing, said Raymond Kanyambo, a spokesman for the agency.
Authorities intensified efforts Thursday by using army helicopters, government troops and boats.
Strong winds and rough waves, which officials blame for the capsizing, complicated ongoing rescue efforts, he said.
Ferries in the region often carry passengers not included in the manifest, making it hard to pinpoint the exact number of people aboard.
The ferry was traveling between the Tanzanian commercial capital of Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar, the Indian Ocean archipelago popular with tourists for its pristine sandy beaches.
The capsizing Wednesday is the latest such disaster in the popular tourist destination of Zanzibar in less than a year.
- 1797 Catholicos Ghookas Karnesi writes a letter to Tsar Paul the First, asking for help.
- 1885 Mkrtich Portoogalyan publishes the "Armenie" newspaper in Marseilles (France). It lasts till 1923.
- 1885 M. Portoogalian publishes the "Armenia" weekly in Marseilles (France).
- 1891 Death of writer Garegin Beshgyeotyoorian ("Sring").
- 1914 Secret military treaty is signed between Germany and Turkey in Constantinople.
- 1928 Birth of Minas Avetissyan (artist). He was murdered by the Soviet Police in 1975.
- 1955 Death of Galoost Qelpenjian.
- 1965 Death of Armen Armenian. He was born in 1871.