SHARMAZANOV: JOINT STATEMENT BY THREE PRESIDENTS IN ACCORD WITH POLICY OF ARMENIAN SIDES
- "I think this statement by the three Presidents proceeds from the logic of peace talks and is in accord with the position of the Armenian sides. Unlike Azerbaijan, the Armenian sides have always said they prepare for peace and not for war and see peaceful settlement of the conflict within the OSCE Minsk Group format only. In this statement, the first most important fact is that no alternative is left for a military solution," Deputy Speaker of Parliament, RPA spokesperson Eduard Sharmazanov told a Panorama.am reporter, commenting upon the joint statement by the Armenian, Russian and Azerbaijani Presidents.
According to him, the statement says that there is only a peaceful solution to the problem, and the Azerbaijani President expressed readiness for it.
"By this point, Mister Aliyev contradicts his latest statement that the problem has two solutions - either peace or military solution," said the NA Deputy Speaker.
"Second, in recent years the Armenian sides in accord with the heads of the Minsk Group Co-Chair Countries constantly stated that the problem should be settled through exclusively peaceful means and within the OSCE Minsk Group format, while the Azerbaijani leadership always stressed the necessity of transferring the Karabakh issue to other formats with the help of Azerbaijan's non-permanent seat in the United Nations Security Council. It is exactly mentioned here that the problem should be settled within the OSCE Minsk Group format," added Sharmazanov.
He noted that this is a blow to Azerbaijan's false propaganda, and all efforts of the latter towards transferring the issue to other formats and replacing Minsk Group by another format came to grief.
"The statement by the three Presidents is in accord with the Armenian President's policy and proves that we have had progress in that aspect in the Karabakh issue over the last years," RPA spokesperson concluded.
- 1861 Birth of the Hungarian-Armenian linguist and philologist, Ghookass Badroopanyan.
- 1904 Birth of the Armenian-Italian physician, Professor, Michael Arlen, son of the famous doctor Yervand Arlen. Michael Arlen was a Full Member of the British Medical Association.
- 1921 The ceremonial opening of Yerevan's People's University. In 1923 it was renamed Yerevan State University.
- 1923 Birth of Karp Khachvankyan (actor) in Akhaltskha (Georgia). He was known as the "Prince of Laughter". He died in 1998.