Published on January 06, 2012
BRIDGE BUILT IN MEXICO AWARDED BY OFFICIAL OF GUINNESS WORLD OF RECORDS
- Mexican President Felipe Calderon has inaugurated the world's tallest bridge. It is part of a new highway crossing some of Mexico's most rugged terrain, from Mazatlan on the Pacific Coast to Durango in the interior, the source reports, reports the BBC. "This project will unite the people of northern Mexico as never before," President Calderon said at the inauguration ceremony.
Officials from the Guinness World of Records were on hand to present him with an award recognizing the engineering feat.
The 403m (1,322ft) tall Baluarte bridge spans a deep ravine in the Sierra Madre Occidental mountains in northern Mexico.
The opening of the 1,124m (3,687ft) long bridge is part of celebrations to mark 200 years of Mexico's independence from Spain.
It is expected to open to traffic later this year, and Mexican officials hope it will boost tourism and commerce in the region, the BBC reports.
Headlines for January 06, 2012 ©
- The bill criminalizing the Armenian Genocide denial that the French National Assembly passed on December 22, in 2011 will be discussed in French Senate on January 24, Jean Ekian from Paris told panorama.am. ...
- On January 6, the Armenian Apostolic Church celebrates the Feast of the Holy Nativity and Theophany of Our Lord Jesus Christ, which is the commemoration of the Birth and Baptism of Jesus Christ. God was ...
- Mexican President Felipe Calderon has inaugurated the world's tallest bridge. It is part of a new highway crossing some of Mexico's most rugged terrain, from Mazatlan on the Pacific Coast to Durango in ...
- On the 6th, 7th and 8th of January no significant precipitation expected in all regions. Wind up to 18mps, snow-storm and ice-cover apparent in spots. The air temperature will go up a little in daytime ...
- The at the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin. The officiating priest at mass is Catholicos of All Armenians is Karekin II.
The president of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan accompanied by his wife Rita Sargsyan was ...
- More than 8.5 thousand employees of RF Ministry of Internal Affairs are to keep the order during the Christmas, the press service of the RF MIA reported to the Interfax.
The police will guard over 282 ...
- His Holiness Karekin II supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of all Armenians sent a message on the feast of the holy Nativity and Theophany of our Lord Jesus Christ.
"In the Name of the Father, the Son ...
- On 6 January President of the Artsakh Republic Bako Sahakyan accompanied by the republic's top leadership visited the Ghazanchetsots church of Christ the Savior in Shoushi and took part at the Divine ...
- Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan accompanied by his spouse Rita Sargsyan attended the Divine Liturgy of Holy Nativity and Theophany of Our Lord Jesus Christ at the Mother Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin, ...
Similar headlines for (last 7 days) new!
Most read news (last 7 days) ©
Today in Armenian history
- 303 Baptism of King Drdat the Third, the First Christian King of Armenia.
- 1199 Coronation of King Levon the Second in the Cathedral of Cilicia.
- 1851 Birth of Petros Dooryan (poet) in Skootar (Constantinople). He died there in 1872.
- 1860 Abraham Mooradian published the "Paris" weekly in Paris.
- 1861 Birth of the philologist, teacher, and historian, Stepan Kanayan in Igdir. He was head of the newly created Public Library, and professional secretary of the Science and Art Institute.
- 1992 On this Christmas Day, the newly elected Parliament of Artsakh, expresses the will of the people as declared in the 1991 12 10 referendum and adopts the Declaration of Independence of Artsakh. Azerbaijan commences aerial and ground warfare by bombarding Armenian towns and villages in Artsakh, occupying half the territory of Artsakh, and creating a flood of refugees.
- 1992 Based on the vote for self-determination in Mountainous Gharabagh (Artsakh) carried out on 1991 12 10, the Supreme Council proclaims Independence.
Forum most active discussions