PUTIN TO MEET ANNAN IN MOSCOW FOR SYRIA TALKS
- Russian President Vladimir Putin will meet with UN and Arab League envoy Kofi Annan in Moscow on July 17 to discuss the Syria crisis, the Kremlin press office said on Sunday, July 15.
"In the course of the visit, Russia intends to reaffirm its support for the peace plan proposed by Kofi Annan to settle the crisis in Syria by political and diplomatic means," the press office said in a statement.
"Russia bases on the fact that this plan is the sole viable platform to solve internal Syrian problems," the statement said.
Annan will arrive in Russia for a two-day visit on July 16-17.
"This is already the second visit by the special envoy to Moscow in the past four months," the statement said, according to RIA Novosti.
The conflict, which began in March last year, has left between 13,000 and 17,000 people dead, according to Syrian rights activists quoted by the United Nations.
- 1852 Birth of Minas Sheraz, one of the founders of the "Cilician Society" benevolent organization. He died in 1929.
- 1860 M. G. Teyrmenjian first publishes the "Eastern Century" weekly in Constantinople (Until 1862).
- 1872 Birth of writer and literary critic, Arshak Chobanian. He died in 1954.
- 1899 Completion of the Tbilissi-Ghars railway.
- 1965 At the Peace Movement Supporters World Summit in Helsinki, the 1915 Armenian Genocide in the Ottoman Empire was condemned.