U.S. HOPES FOR AGREEMENT ON SYRIA DESPITE RUSSIA'S THREAT
- The United States does not rule out that the UN Security Council member states will be able to agree on a Syria resolution, despite Russia's threat to veto any such document if it implies the possibility of using sanctions or military force against the Syrian government, RIA Novosti reported.
"Having been myself a member of many United Nations Security Council sessions and many negotiations, there are a lot of times that people stake out positions publicly, but we negotiate these documents behind closed doors, and we come to an agreement among all 15 members of the Security Council about the best way forward," U.S. State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell said during a daily press briefing in Washington.
"So one can try to negotiate it publicly, but ultimately, it will be negotiated behind closed doors," he added.
Asked whether he could recall a case when Russia threatened to veto a UN resolution and then let it pass, Ventrell said: "What I can tell you is there are a lot of times that people stake out a position that changes."
The 15 UN Security Council member states began talks on a Syria resolution designed to force the government of President Bashar al-Assad and opposition forces to lay down arms and begin negotiations to end the 17 months of violence in Syria.
Russia said it would veto the Western-backed draft if it is put to a vote at the UN Security Council.
- 1723 The Turks occupy Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1848 The district of Marash changes from a pasha's domain to a vilayet.
- 1849 Grigor Galstian publishes, for four years, the semi-annual "Study" paper.
- 1878 The Berlin Congress ends.
- 1915 Start of the defence of Mount Moses (Moosa) (Western Armenia). This episode of the Armenian Genocide of 1915, as implemented by Turkey, is the subject of Franz Werfel's "The Forty Days of Musa Dagh".
- 1922 Death of Kamo (Bolshevik revolutionary figure) - Simon Ter-Petrosyan - in Tbilissi. He was born in 1882 04 05.
- 1964 Death of writer Zorik Mirzoyan. He was born in 1916.