EGYPT'S NEW PRESIDENT TO ADDRESS NATION BEFORE TAKING OATH
- Egypt's President-elect Mohamed Morsi is to address the people on the country's "rebirth" at a rally at Cairo's Tahrir Square on Friday, June 29, before being sworn in Saturday at the Constitutional Court, according to AFP.
Morsi "is taking part in the march of a million Egyptians at Tahrir Square and across the country," the official news agency MENA cited his spokesman Yasser Ali as saying, adding that he would "make a speech to the great Egyptian people".
Ali said that in his speech, Morsi will speak about "efforts to launch his program for the rebirth of Egypt".
The Muslim Brotherhood, from which Morsi stood down after winning the presidential election, has called for a huge demonstration on Friday in Tahrir Square under the slogan: "Day of the transfer of power."
The presidency announced late Thursday that Morsi would be sworn in Saturday before the Constitutional Court, after differences with the army over the transfer of power to the nation's first civilian president.
Morsi "will go at 11 am (0900 GMT) Saturday to the Constitutional Court to take the oath before the Court's general assembly", said a statement released by MENA.
The president will then go on to Cairo University to celebrate his investiture and make an inauguration speech to the nation, the statement added.
- 1Major Vahe Avetyan, head of ENT Department of the Yerevan Garrison Hospital, severely beaten up in Harsnakar restaurant died on Friday, June 29, at approx. 6:30 pm local time. As Defense Ministry Military ...
- 1825 Birth of Gabriel Soondookyan (playwright) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He died in 1912.
- 1889 Birth of Axel Bakunts (writer). He was murdered by the Armenian Soviet Secret Police in 1937.
- 1913 Start of Second Balkan War (to August 10). Turkey seizes and occupies Greek and Bulgarian territories.
- 1927 Kalinin (President of the Central Executive Committee of the USSR) arrives in Armenia.
- 1927 Death of Byuzand Qechian, co-worker of the "Byuzandion" daily and editor of "Arevelk", "Lrageer" and "Massiss".
- 1999 Death of Holy Father, His Holiness Garegin I (Nshan Sargissyan) Catholicos of All Armenians, the 131st Spiritual Leader of Armenian Holy Apostolic Church. He was born in 1932 in Kesap (Syria).