SAMSUNG WINS 3G PATENT SUIT OVER APPLE
- Samsung has secured a win against Apple in The Hague, with the Dutch court ruling that older iPhones and iPads contravene a 3G patent held by the Korean company, according to SlashGear.
Although Samsung's earlier attempts to have the products - which include the iPad 2 and iPhone 4, though not the latest iPhone 4S and new iPad - blocked from sale were rejected, the company says it will now use this ruling to obtain compensation for the infringement from Apple.
"Samsung welcomes the decision of the court in The Hague, which again confirms that Apple makes free use of our technological innovations" the Korean company said in a statement on the court's ruling. "In accordance with this statement, we will recover adequate damages that Apple and its products have caused."
The most recent phone and tablet from Apple escaped the umbrella ruling because Apple switched to a new chipset supplier, namely Qualcomm, and the court deemed that those radios did not overstep in terms of Samsung's patents. Qualcomm had already licensed the necessary patent from Samsung, and it was decided that such licensing covered Apple as a Qualcomm customer.
Exactly what sort of damages Samsung is considering requesting are unclear, and Apple is yet to comment on the ruling. The decision is the latest of many court appearance for the two companies, which have been firing intellectual property salvos at each other for several months now.
Meanwhile, Samsung also finds itself under EC antitrust investigation, after complaints from rivals that it has contravened rules around fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRAND) patent licensing.
- 1The government of Armenia plans to create 100000 new jobs in the years to come, Prime Minister said, while announcing the government's program. "The program also envisages 80% poverty reduction, doubling ...
- 1845 Sultan Abdul Megid orders the Pasha of Soor to enter Western Armenia with an army. The goal was to take away the semi-autonomy of the Armenians.
- 1874 Hambardzoom Balassanyan starts the "Love of Fatherland" organization in Karakilissa (Vanadzor).
- 1890 Fighting between Turkish forces and the civilian population of Armenians in Kareen (Erzroom, Western Armenia) took place.
- 1911 Death of Ghazaros Aghayan (educator and writer) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He was born in 1840.
- 1939 Creation of the Armenian SSR's People's Commissariats for Automobile Transportation, Meat, and Dairy industries.
- 1943 Death of Arus Voskanyan (actress) in Yerevan. She was born in 1889.