WIKILEAKS CHIEF JULIAN ASSANGE FACES ARREST FOR BREACHING BAIL
- Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, who is seeking asylum at Ecuador's London embassy, faces arrest for breaching his bail, police say, according to BBC News.
Mr Assange, 40, whose conditions included staying at his bail address between 2200 and 0800 BST, spent Tuesday June 19 night at the embassy.
Last week he failed to reopen an appeal against his extradition to Sweden.
Mr Assange, wanted for questioning in Sweden over rape and sexual assault allegations, denies any wrongdoing.
Ecuador had said it was "studying and analysing" Mr Assange's request for asylum.
Scotland Yard's plan to arrest Mr Assange was "another extraordinary twist in a truly extraordinary tale". Mr Assange is on £200,000 bail, provided by high-profile supporters including socialite Jemima Khan and film director Ken Loach, who each offered £20,000 as surety.
As Mr Assange had broken the condition of his bail that he lived at a friend's house in Norfolk, a criminal offence had been committed.
If the situation was resolved by Ecuador "effectively putting him on the doorstep of the embassy" for police to arrest, he may not be prosecuted for the breach and the extradition to Sweden would take its course.
Mr Assange's supporters would have to argue that, as it was always known where he was, they should have their bail money returned.
But as it was with the court to provide security and bail had been breached, it was possible they would lose their money.
- 1The government of Armenia plans to create 100000 new jobs in the years to come, Prime Minister said, while announcing the government's program. "The program also envisages 80% poverty reduction, doubling ...
- 1845 Sultan Abdul Megid orders the Pasha of Soor to enter Western Armenia with an army. The goal was to take away the semi-autonomy of the Armenians.
- 1874 Hambardzoom Balassanyan starts the "Love of Fatherland" organization in Karakilissa (Vanadzor).
- 1890 Fighting between Turkish forces and the civilian population of Armenians in Kareen (Erzroom, Western Armenia) took place.
- 1911 Death of Ghazaros Aghayan (educator and writer) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He was born in 1840.
- 1939 Creation of the Armenian SSR's People's Commissariats for Automobile Transportation, Meat, and Dairy industries.
- 1943 Death of Arus Voskanyan (actress) in Yerevan. She was born in 1889.