FIFA TO INVEST USD 20 MILLION FOR 2014 WORLD CUP
- FIFA will invest $20 million in green initiatives as part of its sustainability strategy for the 2014 World Cup, according to IANS.
Speaking at an event Tuesday, June 19 FIFA's head of corporate social responsibility, Federico Addiechi said waste management, community support and renewable energy were key areas to benefit from the funds.
"The ultimate goal is to stage an event that uses resources wisely, striking a balance between economic aspects, social development and environmental protection," Addiechi said.
The announcement was made on the eve of the United Nations Rio+20 summit here.
Addiechi said Brazil had set a precedent for future World Cup organizers with its insistence on building green stadiums.
Each of the country's 12 host venues were obligated to provide a comprehensive sustainability plan before being granted a credit line from public lender BNDES.
The initiative has led to all stadiums being fitted with solar generators while water used from showers will be recycled for pitch irrigation.
- 1The government of Armenia plans to create 100000 new jobs in the years to come, Prime Minister said, while announcing the government's program. "The program also envisages 80% poverty reduction, doubling ...
- 1845 Sultan Abdul Megid orders the Pasha of Soor to enter Western Armenia with an army. The goal was to take away the semi-autonomy of the Armenians.
- 1874 Hambardzoom Balassanyan starts the "Love of Fatherland" organization in Karakilissa (Vanadzor).
- 1890 Fighting between Turkish forces and the civilian population of Armenians in Kareen (Erzroom, Western Armenia) took place.
- 1911 Death of Ghazaros Aghayan (educator and writer) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He was born in 1840.
- 1939 Creation of the Armenian SSR's People's Commissariats for Automobile Transportation, Meat, and Dairy industries.
- 1943 Death of Arus Voskanyan (actress) in Yerevan. She was born in 1889.