"MONEY" MAYWEATHER TOPS FORBES LIST OF HIGHEST PAID ATHLETES
- Forbes has released its list of the 100 highest paid athletes, and boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr., nicknamed "Money," is No. 1, according to The Associated Press.
Mayweather, who made $85 million for two fights last year, is currently serving a three-month jail sentence in Las Vegas for domestic battery.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao is second on the magazine's list at $62 million from earnings and endorsements. Pacquiao lost his WBO welterweight title to Timothy Bradley earlier this month.
Tiger Woods, No. 1 on the list since 2001, made $59.4 million to place third.
LeBron James of the Miami Heat is fourth ($53 million). He is one of 13 basketball players on the list.
Tennis star Roger Federer is fifth at $52.7 million.
Thirty football players made the top 100, with Peyton Manning tops among them at No. 10. The Denver Broncos' new quarterback made $42.4 million during his last season with the Indianapolis Colts, even though he sat out the entire season while recovering from a neck injury.
David Beckham of the Los Angeles Galaxy was No. 8 overall and the highest ranked soccer player at $46 million.
- 1861 Birth of the Norwegian Friedhof Nansen (public figure). He died in 1930 after helping countless Armenian refugees, who had survived the Armenian Genocide perpetrated by the Turks. He created the "Nansen Passport" for these stateless refugees.
- 1911 Death of Petros Simonian, national figure, publicist in Tbilisi and editor of the "Meghoo Hayastanee" periodical.
- 1918 The first Armenian delegation arrived in Constantinople to start reconciliation talks with Turkey.
- 1935 Opening of the State Historical Museum of Armenia in Yerevan.
- 1954 Death of Smbat Boroyan, participant in the 1921 February rebellion and the volunteer movement of the Sassoon rebellion of 1904. He was born in 1882.
- 2001 Death of Sargis Baghdasarian, sculptor, artist and teacher. His "We are our mountains" - "Gharabaghthsiner" sculpture (1967) became a symbol of the national movement of Artsakh. He was born in 1923.