14 DISMEMBERED BODIES DISCOVERED IN NORTH-EASTERN MEXICO
- Fourteen dismembered bodies have been discovered in a lorry in north-eastern Mexico, local officials say, according to BBC News.
The vehicle was parked outside the mayor's office in Ciudad Mante, in Tamaulipas state.
Reports say gang-related messages were found on the blankets covering 11 men and three women.
About 50,000 people have died in drug-related violence in Mexico since 2006, when President Felipe Calderon deployed the army to combat the cartels.
A man was reported to have abandoned the vehicle with the bodies, but very few details of the gruesome case are known, the authorities say.
There are no clear indications as to which of the powerful criminal groups in Tamaulipas was responsible for the killings, and none of the victims have been identified.
There are two main cartels operating in this region of Mexico - the vast criminal network known as los Zetas, and their main rivals, the Gulf Cartel.
The incident was first reported via Twitter and other social networking sites, which are increasingly becoming the first place via which such information reaches the public domain, the BBC's Will Grant in Tamaulipas reports.
The bodies were discovered just a day after the frontrunner in Mexico's presidential election, Enrique Pena Nieto, visited the state, promising to reduce the murder rate if elected, our correspondent says.
Last month, 49 beheaded and mutilated corpses were found dumped in the northern city of Monterrey.
- 1Increased number of ceasefire violations on Azeri side has been reported recently. As Artsakh Defense Army spokesman Senor Hasratyan told PanARMENIAN.Net, an adequate response is shown in case of necessity, ...
- 1During a visit to Iğdır Province, Turkish President named it gates to the Caucasus. "Lasting peace will be established in the Caucasus. Turkey takes every effort for it. Azerbaijan will liberate all ...
- 1769 The independence program for Armenia, as developed by Movses Sarafian, is shown to the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- 1860 The Governor of Marash, Khurshid Pasha lauches an attack against Zeitoon. He is routed.
- 1908 Death of Gevorg Dodokhyan (poet). He was born in 1830 in Gogenlo (Crimea, the Ukraine).
- 1939 The opening of the Armenian Pedagogical School Department in Tbilisi.
- 1954 Death of Arshak Chobanian, writer and literary critic. He was born in 1872.