EGYPTIAN POLITICIANS AGREE TO ELECT PANEL TO DRAFT NEW CONSTITUTION
- Both houses of the parliament of Egypt will consider setting up a commission to form the country's new constitution on June 12 ahead of the presidential runoff later in the month, Sayed Badawi, the leader of the liberal Wafd Party, said, according to RIA Novosti.
Egypt's previous constitution was declared invalid after the popular uprising in early 2011. It was decided later by temporary authorities in the country that the new constitution must be worked out and adopted by both houses of the parliament.
Mohamed El Baradei, one of Egypt's leading opposition figures and ex-head of the IAEA, said earlier in the week that Egypt should at first draw a new constitution before voting on a new president.
The country is set to hold the second and final round of the presidential election on June 16-17.
The Muslim Brotherhood's candidate for the Egyptian presidential election Mohammed Morsi and Ahmed Shafiq, who was the last prime minister under former President Hosni Mubarak, won most of the votes in the first round of Egypt's presidential elections on May 23-24 and will face each other in the runoff.
Former President of Egypt Hosni Mubarak was overthrown in February 2011 after an 18-day popular uprising. Over 800 people were killed during the revolution, many of them shot dead by security forces. Last week the Cairo Criminal Court ruled to sentence Mubarak, 84, to life imprisonment.
- 1Increased number of ceasefire violations on Azeri side has been reported recently. As Artsakh Defense Army spokesman Senor Hasratyan told PanARMENIAN.Net, an adequate response is shown in case of necessity, ...
- 1During a visit to Iğdır Province, Turkish President named it gates to the Caucasus. "Lasting peace will be established in the Caucasus. Turkey takes every effort for it. Azerbaijan will liberate all ...
- 1769 The independence program for Armenia, as developed by Movses Sarafian, is shown to the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- 1860 The Governor of Marash, Khurshid Pasha lauches an attack against Zeitoon. He is routed.
- 1908 Death of Gevorg Dodokhyan (poet). He was born in 1830 in Gogenlo (Crimea, the Ukraine).
- 1939 The opening of the Armenian Pedagogical School Department in Tbilisi.
- 1954 Death of Arshak Chobanian, writer and literary critic. He was born in 1872.