KENYAN STUDENT ARRESTED IN U.S. OVER CANNIBALISM CHARGES
- A 21-year-old student from Kenya was held without bail in the U.S. state of Maryland Saturday, June 2, after allegedly killing and eating parts of his housemate, CNN television reported.
Alexander Kinyua was arrested after being charged with first-degree murder, first-degree assault and second-degree assault in the alleged cannibalism case, the network said, according to AFP.
Harford County Sheriff Jesse Bane told reporters that Kinyua admitted killing his Ghanian housemate, cutting him up, and then eating his heart and part of his brain, the report said. According to the Harford County District Court case record, the killing occurred on May 25.
Six days earlier, Kinyua was involved in a fight on the Baltimore campus of Morgan State University, which had led to charges against Kinyua, including first-degree assault and reckless endangerment, CNN said.
The gruesome find was made by Antony Kinyua - Alexander Kinyua's father - who called a Harford County detective and told him that he had come across two metal tins containing human body parts covered by a blanket in the basement laundry room, the report said.
The tins contained the head and two hands of Kujoe Bonsafo Agyei-Kodie, a housemate of Kinyua, who lived in Joppatowne, Maryland, and was considered missing.
The rest of the victim's remains were found in a dumpster.
A missing person's report filed May 26 described Agyei-Kodie, 37, as "very intelligent." He had earned multiple master's degrees from schools in Ghana and was a graduate student at Morgan State University until 2008, CNN said.
- 1831 The Tsar cancels the transit privileges of Transcaucasian merchants. Conscription in Transcaucasia is implemented by the Tsar.
- 1891 Death of Petros Adamyan (actor). He was born in 1849.
- 1897 The Tsar's State Council orders the subordination of Armenian Parish Schools to the Ministry of Education. Because of their refusal to do so, the schools were closed.
- 1904 Death of Ahsot Yerkat (Armenak Levonian), an activist of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation Party.
- 1922 The first issue of the "Ploughman" daily is published in Yerevan.
- 1941 Death of writer Vazgen Shooshanian. He was born in 1902.