NATIONAL ASSEMBLY'S FIFTH CONVOCATION HOLDS FIRST MEETING
- Today, May 31, Armenian National Assembly's fifth convocation held its first meeting, chaired by oldest Member of Parliament Mkrtich Minasyan.
The MPs from the Armenian National Congress (ANC) and Heritage opposition party missed the sitting.
The ruling Republican Party of Armenia (RPA) took a decisive victory at the parliamentary elections on May 6 gaining 44,02% of votes.
The coalition Prosperous Armenia party comes second with 30,12% of votes and the opposition ANC is placed third with 7,08%.
The opposition parties Heritage (5,76%) and ARF Dashnaktsutyun (5,67%), as well as the third coalition Orinats Yerkir party (5,51%) also joined the new parliament.
RPA gained absolute majority of 69 seats in the 131-member National Assembly, 40 by proportional and 29 by majority system of voting. Prosperous Armenia got 37 seats (28 by proportional and 9 by majority systems) and ANC was left with 7.
Dashnaktsutyun and Orinats Yerkir got 6 seats each (5 by proportional and 1 by majority systems), while Heritage got 5.
- 1834 The National Hospital of the Holy Savior is founded in Constantinople. It is still in operation.
- 1855 The Russian army occupies Ardahan (Western Armenia).
- 1869 Birth of seascape artist Vardan Makhookhian. He died in 1937.
- 1884 Birth of Dro (Drastamat Kanayan). He died in 1956. His remains were transferred to Aparan in 2001 to recognize his defeat of the Turkish Army there in May 1918.
- 1890 Death of Mkrteetsh Sanasarian, the founder of Karnoy Sanassarian Gymnasium.
- 1915 Zeytoon is renamed Suleymanie by order of Sultan Mehmed Reshad.
- 1918 Death of Marzpet, revolutionary and public figure.
- 1920 The Dashnak delegation starts its negotiations with Soviet Russia in Moscow.
- 1978 The Azat Reservoir (Artashat region) is operational.