SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 ANNOUNCED AS LONDON 2012 SMARTPHONE
- The Samsung Galaxy S3 will be the official phone of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games in a partnership with Visa that will see athletes given a special edition of the phone with Visa PayWave built in.
Only athletes sponsored by Samsung and Visa will be issued the smartphone, letting them buy merchandise and goods at thousands of retailers throughout London with the built-in NFC chip.
"Mobile payment services enabled by NFC technology are gaining momentum around the world. The Samsung GALAXY S III has been created with our human needs and capabilities in mind and is the ideal device to showcase the ease and convenience of Visa's mobile payment application at the London 2012 Olympic Games," said DJ Lee, head of sales and marketing at Samsung's mobile communications business.
When the games start there will be more than 140,000 contactless terminals in the UK for users of NFC-enabled smartphones and credit cards to pay for goods.
Payments below £20 can be made by tapping a Visa icon on the Galaxy S3's screen and holding it near the till, while payments over £20 require you to enter a passcode. You can also check your balance and past transactions with the Visa PayWave app.
The special Olympic edition of the S3 made available to athletes is supported and enabled by Lloyds TSB, which is also a London 2012 Games partner, International Business Times reported.
- 1804 Mamed Khan of Yerevan, knowing of the Russian force's progress, orders the migration (for the duration of the war) of about 20000 Armenians from the Khanate of Yerevan to Ghars.
- 1810 Birth of Gabriel Aivazovski in Feodosia (Ukraine). He died in 1880 in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1838 Birth of Viscount James Bryce (statesman). He served under Prime Minister William Gladstone. He was a founder of the League of Nations. He wrote on jurisprudence and political science. He vociferously condemned the Armenian Genocide by the Turkish government. He died in 1922.
- 1848 The Lazaryan College (Moscow) becomes the Institute of Western Languages.
- 1855 The Sultan orders, for the first time, the draft for the Christians in Turkey. The order was ineffective.
- 1920 Armenia's Revolutionary Military Committee in Alexandropol and proclaims the establishment of Soviet power in Armenia.
- 1923 Birth of Heydar Aliev, First Secretary of the Communist Party in Azerbaijan, Head of the Azeri Turk subdivision of the Soviet KGB, Member of the USSR Politbureau, and Head of Atheistic Propaganda under the Soviet regime. Committed Genocide against the Armenians of Nakhitshevan and Artsakh. Took over the presidency of Azerbaijan in 1993.
- 1941 The Ten-day Festival of Armenian Literature starts in Moscow (Russia).
- 1943 Garegeen the First (Hovsepyants) is anointed Catholicos of Cilicia in Antilias' Cathedral.