OSCE REP. PRAISES COURAGE OF MEDIA WORKERS
- The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, Dunja Mijatović, paid tribute to the courage of media workers and emphasized their essential role in the development of Democracy, while congratulating them on World Press Freedom Day marked on May 3.
"I admire your fearless efforts to tell the truth. We would live in a very different world without a strong independent media," said Mijatović, speaking from Tunis, where she is attending an international media freedom conference. "Risking your safety and even lives in the line of duty, you continue to courageously fulfill your mission."
"At this moment when we are celebrating World Press Freedom Day, there are many journalists sitting behind bars and many still waiting for justice," she emphasized.
"I will continue to urge governments to solve all cases of violence against journalists and to stop impunity for the perpetrators, in order to make our region a better and safer area for reporting. I will continue to oppose restrictive laws and practices that silence independent and critical voices of media, off- and online."
"The digital revolution and modern Internet technologies have changed your methods, but not the essence of what you do. They have made news gathering and sharing faster and easier, but they have not eliminated the need for professional investigative reporting."
The OSCE media freedom representative, along with the other three special rapporteurs on free media from the United Nations, the Organization of American States and the African Commission on Human and People's Rights, is attending a UNESCO conference on May 3 dedicated to World Press Freedom Day.
- 3The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) has sanctioned Armenia for its decision to withdraw from the Eurovision 2012 International Song Contest due to take place in Baku, Azerbaijan in May. Russian news ...
- 1881 Khatshatoor Kerektsyan creates the "Protector of the Fatherland" organization in Karin (Western Armenia).
- 1905 Birth of Vardan Achemyan (theater director). He died in 1977.
- 1957 Death of academician and armenologist Greegor Ghapantsyan.
- 1997 Lebanon's Assembly adopts a declaration to the effect that every April 24 will be a day of solidarity with the Armenian people to commemorate the Armenian Genocide.
- 1998 Ceremonial transfer of the remains of Serob Aghbyur's spouse and the national hero Sosseh Mayrik (Sosseh Vardanyan) from Alexandria (Egypt) to Armenia.