6 KILLED IN RUSSIA'S AMMO EXPLOSION
- Six soldiers were killed and three injured in the Nizhny Novgorod region when ammunition they were unloading for destruction blew up on Wednesday, May 2 the Defense Ministry said, according to RIA Novosti.
"The injured have been taken to a garrison military hospital," the ministry's press service said.
The blast, which took place in the village of Mulino, is tentatively blamed on safety violations, a regional law enforcement source said. He could not elaborate. The area hosts a firing range and dozens of military units.
Military invesigators are working at the scene, a spokesman for the Main Military Prosecutor's Office said.
The most destructive incident in the past few years took place at an ammunition depot Ashuluk in the Astrakhan Region on August 23 when an artillery shell accidentally blew up causing a series of other explosions. The blasts killed eight servicemen and injured about a dozen others.
In a separate incident, artillery shells began blowing up in the Udmurtian republic in June when a fire broke out at a local arsenal depot. A conscript died when trying to put out the fire and at least 28,000 people were evacuated from the area, with a hundred of them requesting medical aid.
- 1219 Death of Armenian King Levon the Second (Kingdom of Cilicia).
- 1817 General Yermolov, Commander of the Caucasian forces and Governor of the Caucasus, stops in Echmiadsin on his way to a mission in Persia.
- 1869 Death of the Armenologist Victor Langlois. He translated Armenian historical sources into French under the sponsorship of Noobar Pasha.
- 1900 Death of Hovhannes Aivazovsky (seascape artist) in Feodosia (the Ukraine). He was born in 1817.
- 1916 The "France-Armenie" committee is organized in Paris. Members of the Academy and other political figures are members.
- 1917 The First Assembly of Western Armenians opens in Yerevan under the Presidency of General Andranik.
- 1919 The Publication of Constantinople's Extraordinary Military Tribunal's decision about the perpetrators of the deportations of Booyook Dere's (Constantinople's district) Armenian population.
- 1930 Creation of the Kanaker Power Station.
- 1965 Death of Hrachia Kochar (writer and public figure). He was born in 1909.