HACKATHON ARMENIA 2012 WINNERS ANNOUNCED
- VivaCell-MTS announces that the final stage of the Hackathon Armenia 2012 was held in Tsaghkadzor from April 27 to 29, with the company General Manager Ralph Yirikian presenting the awards.
The captain of the winning team in the Android nomination got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and the captain of the winning team in Chrome App nomination received an HTC Flyer tablet.
15 projects were selected for participation in the final stage. The competition participants were supposed to create software and extensions working on Android OS for Google Chrome browser.
The winner in the Android nomination was the Event Guide project (Minas Keshishyan, captain of the team). The Event Guide is an Android application that combines variety of events and lets system users learn about the planned cultural, sports, and entertainment events in Armenia, make calendar notes, evaluate and select preferable events. It also lets find the nearest to the user events, make an advanced search, as well as share the events with social network friends. The users can easily obtain electronic QR tickets to make mobile payments.
The winner in the Chrome App nomination was Me Chat project (Karen Ghandilyan, captain of the team). The project is a social networks chat hub and includes Google+, Facebook. The small window opening in the browser allows seeing all online social network friends. Besides, the Me Chat offers a translation tool based on the Google Translate. The Facebook user, for example, can type in Armenian, but the message before being sent will be translated into the language preferable to the peer receiving it. The receiver can equally get the message in the original language. The reply will automatically be translated into the language indicated in the settings.
"Such innovative projects and events help promotion of the country's IT sector," Mr. Yirikian commented.
- 1219 Death of Armenian King Levon the Second (Kingdom of Cilicia).
- 1817 General Yermolov, Commander of the Caucasian forces and Governor of the Caucasus, stops in Echmiadsin on his way to a mission in Persia.
- 1869 Death of the Armenologist Victor Langlois. He translated Armenian historical sources into French under the sponsorship of Noobar Pasha.
- 1900 Death of Hovhannes Aivazovsky (seascape artist) in Feodosia (the Ukraine). He was born in 1817.
- 1916 The "France-Armenie" committee is organized in Paris. Members of the Academy and other political figures are members.
- 1917 The First Assembly of Western Armenians opens in Yerevan under the Presidency of General Andranik.
- 1919 The Publication of Constantinople's Extraordinary Military Tribunal's decision about the perpetrators of the deportations of Booyook Dere's (Constantinople's district) Armenian population.
- 1930 Creation of the Kanaker Power Station.
- 1965 Death of Hrachia Kochar (writer and public figure). He was born in 1909.