LONDON NAMED NO. 1 TOURIST DESTINATION
- Travelers have named London - soon to host the Olympics - as the world's best destination. The UK capital was number one in the world, in Europe and in the UK in a survey of world travelers by the TripAdvisor company, Belfast Telegraph reported.
In the world list, New York was second, Rome third and Paris fourth.
Rome was second and Paris third in the best European destination list, with Dublin in ninth place and Edinburgh 13th.
In the list of best UK destinations, Edinburgh was second, Liverpool third and Torquay in Devon fourth.
TripAdvisor spokeswoman Emma Shaw said: "To be crowned the world's best destination in the Olympic year by millions of travelers is a tremendous honor for London.
"It's fantastic to see the capital recognized and rewarded by those that have really experienced the city - travelers themselves."
Gordon Innes, chief executive of tourism organization London & Partners, said: "This accolade couldn't be better timed for the capital in this momentous year and we are delighted.
"It is a testament to the wonderful array of attractions, dining and accommodation that set London apart from all of these other destinations."
This was the world destination top 10: 1. London; 2. New York City; 3. Rome; 4. Paris; 5. San Francisco; 6. Marrakech, Morocco; 7. Istanbul; 8. Barcelona; 9. Siem Reap, Cambodia; 10. Berlin.
- 1219 Death of Armenian King Levon the Second (Kingdom of Cilicia).
- 1817 General Yermolov, Commander of the Caucasian forces and Governor of the Caucasus, stops in Echmiadsin on his way to a mission in Persia.
- 1869 Death of the Armenologist Victor Langlois. He translated Armenian historical sources into French under the sponsorship of Noobar Pasha.
- 1900 Death of Hovhannes Aivazovsky (seascape artist) in Feodosia (the Ukraine). He was born in 1817.
- 1916 The "France-Armenie" committee is organized in Paris. Members of the Academy and other political figures are members.
- 1917 The First Assembly of Western Armenians opens in Yerevan under the Presidency of General Andranik.
- 1919 The Publication of Constantinople's Extraordinary Military Tribunal's decision about the perpetrators of the deportations of Booyook Dere's (Constantinople's district) Armenian population.
- 1930 Creation of the Kanaker Power Station.
- 1965 Death of Hrachia Kochar (writer and public figure). He was born in 1909.