STEVE COOGAN RETURNS TO "DESPICABLE ME 2" AS VOICE OF GRU
- Steve Coogan has joined the voice cast of Despicable Me 2, Universal and Illumination's sequel to the 2010 hit, The Hollywood Reporter said.
Steve Carell is returning as the voice of Gru, the supervillain whose heart is melted when he adopts three wee children. Russell Brand and Miranda Cosgrove also return as their respective characters, Dr. Nefario and Margo. New to the cast is Al Pacino as the sequel's villain. Kristen Wiig, who voiced Miss Hattie in the first movie, returns in a new, unspecified, role for the sequel.
Details of Coogan's character were not revealed.
The creative team behind Despicable Me is returning for the sequel, including directors Chris Renaud and Pierre Coffin. The film grossed $543 million worldwide.
Cinco Paul and Ken Daurio, who have managed to work on every Illumination script including Despicable Me, Hop and Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, wrote the script for the new movie.
Illumination founder Chris Meledandri and Janet Healy are producing.
Coogan, repped by ICM and 3Arts Entertainment, was most recently on the big screen in last year's My Idiot Brother. He has Ruby Sparks, the first movie from Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris since the duo's 2006 hit Little Miss Sunshine, and the indie divorce drama What Maisie Knew.
- 1219 Death of Armenian King Levon the Second (Kingdom of Cilicia).
- 1817 General Yermolov, Commander of the Caucasian forces and Governor of the Caucasus, stops in Echmiadsin on his way to a mission in Persia.
- 1869 Death of the Armenologist Victor Langlois. He translated Armenian historical sources into French under the sponsorship of Noobar Pasha.
- 1900 Death of Hovhannes Aivazovsky (seascape artist) in Feodosia (the Ukraine). He was born in 1817.
- 1916 The "France-Armenie" committee is organized in Paris. Members of the Academy and other political figures are members.
- 1917 The First Assembly of Western Armenians opens in Yerevan under the Presidency of General Andranik.
- 1919 The Publication of Constantinople's Extraordinary Military Tribunal's decision about the perpetrators of the deportations of Booyook Dere's (Constantinople's district) Armenian population.
- 1930 Creation of the Kanaker Power Station.
- 1965 Death of Hrachia Kochar (writer and public figure). He was born in 1909.