TALIBAN VOWS TO LAUNCH AFGHANISTAN "SPRING OFFENSIVE"
- The Taliban militia announced their "spring offensive" would begin across Afghanistan on Thursday, May 3, AFP reported.
Code-named Al-Farouq, the primary targets of the offensive would be "foreign invaders, their advisors, their contractors, all those who help them militarily and in intelligence", the militants said on their website.
"Al-Farouq spring offensive will be launched on May 3 all over Afghanistan," the militant group said.
The militia said the code name came from Islam's second caliph, Omar Al-Farouq known for his military advances in Asia and the Arab world during the 7th century.
The announcement comes hours after Taliban insurgents armed with guns, suicide vests and a bomb-laden car attacked a heavily fortified compound used by Westerners in Kabul, killing seven people and wounding more than a dozen.
The militants claimed the attack in defiance of U.S. President Barack Obama's call that the war was ending during a visit to Afghanistan on the first anniversary of Osama bin Laden's death on Wednesday.
- 1219 Death of Armenian King Levon the Second (Kingdom of Cilicia).
- 1817 General Yermolov, Commander of the Caucasian forces and Governor of the Caucasus, stops in Echmiadsin on his way to a mission in Persia.
- 1869 Death of the Armenologist Victor Langlois. He translated Armenian historical sources into French under the sponsorship of Noobar Pasha.
- 1900 Death of Hovhannes Aivazovsky (seascape artist) in Feodosia (the Ukraine). He was born in 1817.
- 1916 The "France-Armenie" committee is organized in Paris. Members of the Academy and other political figures are members.
- 1917 The First Assembly of Western Armenians opens in Yerevan under the Presidency of General Andranik.
- 1919 The Publication of Constantinople's Extraordinary Military Tribunal's decision about the perpetrators of the deportations of Booyook Dere's (Constantinople's district) Armenian population.
- 1930 Creation of the Kanaker Power Station.
- 1965 Death of Hrachia Kochar (writer and public figure). He was born in 1909.