ICES OBSERVER MISSION HEADQUARTERS OPEN IN ARMENIA
- On May 1, International expert Center for Electoral Systems (ICES) observer mission headquarters launched operation. The mission comprises 20 independent experts from 8 EU member-countries, the U.S. and Israel, ICES press service reports.
ICES conference on "Analysis of RA Electoral Code and electoral system, analysis of Central Electoral Commission's operation and Armenian electronic media coverage" is due on May 4.
The International expert Center for Electoral Systems (ICES) is a nonprofit non-governmental public organization set up by a group of highly qualified experts in the fields of law, political science, diplomacy and sociology, coming from the USA, Great Britain, Netherlands, Germany and Israel.
The ICES experts have a vast experience in political monitoring and management of electoral preparations and processes in different countries.
Parliamentary elections, due in Armenia on May 6, feature 8 political parties, Republican Party of Armenia (RPA), Prosperous Armenia, ARF Dashnaktsutyun (ARFD), Orinats Yerkir, Heritage, Democratic Party of Armenia (DPA), Communist Party of Armenia and United Armenians party, as well as one election bloc represented by opposition Armenian National Congress (ANC).
- 1219 Death of Armenian King Levon the Second (Kingdom of Cilicia).
- 1817 General Yermolov, Commander of the Caucasian forces and Governor of the Caucasus, stops in Echmiadsin on his way to a mission in Persia.
- 1869 Death of the Armenologist Victor Langlois. He translated Armenian historical sources into French under the sponsorship of Noobar Pasha.
- 1900 Death of Hovhannes Aivazovsky (seascape artist) in Feodosia (the Ukraine). He was born in 1817.
- 1916 The "France-Armenie" committee is organized in Paris. Members of the Academy and other political figures are members.
- 1917 The First Assembly of Western Armenians opens in Yerevan under the Presidency of General Andranik.
- 1919 The Publication of Constantinople's Extraordinary Military Tribunal's decision about the perpetrators of the deportations of Booyook Dere's (Constantinople's district) Armenian population.
- 1930 Creation of the Kanaker Power Station.
- 1965 Death of Hrachia Kochar (writer and public figure). He was born in 1909.