RULING PARTY REP. SAYS RPA HOLDS DEBATES WITH PROSPEROUS ARMENIA ONLY
- Deputy chairman of the ruling Republican Party of Armenia (RPA) Galust Sahakyan held a press conference on May 2.
When asked why RPA does not participate in debates, Sahakyan replied that debates are usually organized between political forces which have some proximity in their activities.
According to the ruling party representative, RPA and Prosperous Armenia are the most powerful actors in this election campaign, while others are below the 10-12% threshold.
"Let them have debates to see who is stronger in this area," Sahakyan said.
RPA senior member had earlier urged his party members not to take part in debates.
Samvel Farmanyan is so far the only RPA member who participated in debates with his opposition rival Vladimir Karapetyan nominated by Armenian National Congress, with the talk broadcast by ArmNews TV company.
Parliamentary elections are due in Armenia on May 6 featuring 8 political parties (Republican Party of Armenia (RPA), Prosperous Armenia, ARF Dashnaktsutyun (ARFD), Orinats Yerkir, Heritage, Democratic Party of Armenia (DPA), Communist Party of Armenia and United Armenian party, as well as one election bloc represented by opposition Armenian National Congress (ANC).
- 1219 Death of Armenian King Levon the Second (Kingdom of Cilicia).
- 1817 General Yermolov, Commander of the Caucasian forces and Governor of the Caucasus, stops in Echmiadsin on his way to a mission in Persia.
- 1869 Death of the Armenologist Victor Langlois. He translated Armenian historical sources into French under the sponsorship of Noobar Pasha.
- 1900 Death of Hovhannes Aivazovsky (seascape artist) in Feodosia (the Ukraine). He was born in 1817.
- 1916 The "France-Armenie" committee is organized in Paris. Members of the Academy and other political figures are members.
- 1917 The First Assembly of Western Armenians opens in Yerevan under the Presidency of General Andranik.
- 1919 The Publication of Constantinople's Extraordinary Military Tribunal's decision about the perpetrators of the deportations of Booyook Dere's (Constantinople's district) Armenian population.
- 1930 Creation of the Kanaker Power Station.
- 1965 Death of Hrachia Kochar (writer and public figure). He was born in 1909.