RPA VICE-CHAIRMAN: ARMENIAN PRESIDENT TRUSTS HIS SUPPORTERS
- Galust Sahakyan deputy chairman of the ruling Republican Party of Armenia (RPA) met with journalists on May 2.
"The President trusts everybody and listens to everybody," he said commenting on some recent statements by politicians saying Serzh Sargsyan allegedly does not trust RPA management and therefore personally goes for with election campaign.
Such comments are both inappropriate and timeless, Sahaykan told the press conference.
He also refuted rumors on Prime Minister Tigran Sargsyan's dismissal from the campaign.
RPA vice chairman emphasized that the party considers PM's activities to be efficient. He said the Prime Minister is busy with his functions, reminding that PM Sargsyan was engaged in party activities prior to the election campaign.
Parliamentary elections are due in Armenia on May 6 featuring 8 political parties (Republican Party of Armenia (RPA), Prosperous Armenia, ARF Dashnaktsutyun (ARFD), Orinats Yerkir, Heritage, Democratic Party of Armenia (DPA), Communist Party of Armenia and United Armenian party, as well as one election bloc represented by opposition Armenian National Congress (ANC).
- 1219 Death of Armenian King Levon the Second (Kingdom of Cilicia).
- 1817 General Yermolov, Commander of the Caucasian forces and Governor of the Caucasus, stops in Echmiadsin on his way to a mission in Persia.
- 1869 Death of the Armenologist Victor Langlois. He translated Armenian historical sources into French under the sponsorship of Noobar Pasha.
- 1900 Death of Hovhannes Aivazovsky (seascape artist) in Feodosia (the Ukraine). He was born in 1817.
- 1916 The "France-Armenie" committee is organized in Paris. Members of the Academy and other political figures are members.
- 1917 The First Assembly of Western Armenians opens in Yerevan under the Presidency of General Andranik.
- 1919 The Publication of Constantinople's Extraordinary Military Tribunal's decision about the perpetrators of the deportations of Booyook Dere's (Constantinople's district) Armenian population.
- 1930 Creation of the Kanaker Power Station.
- 1965 Death of Hrachia Kochar (writer and public figure). He was born in 1909.