PAUL GUIRAGOSSIAN'S PAINTING TO BE AUCTIONED AT MATTHEW'S GALLERIES
- Matthew's Galleries of Lake Oswego, Oregon, U.S. announced a summer art auction, June 19, 2012, ARTFIX Daily reports.
The gallery is seeking consignments of American and International art from Old Masters to the 20th century, including paintings, watercolors, fine prints and sculpture.
Already included in the sale is "Family" by Paul Guiragossian (Armenian, 1926-1993). The 15" x 18" oil on canvas was painted about 1963, and carries an estimate of $10,000-15,000. From the selection of American art is "Guarding the Move" by Ace Powell (1912-1978), a Western oil on canvas measuring 20" x 30" with a guess of $3,000-4,000. Other paintings by American 19th & 20th century artists include Arthur W. Best, John J. Englehart, Clyde Leon Keller, etc.
Matthew's Galleries was opened by its current owner/director Matthew W. Gerber in 1968. The specialty has always been quality 19th & 20th century American paintings with some European works as well.
Paul Guiragossian was born in Jerusalem in 1926 and settled in Beirut with his family in 1939 becoming a Lebanese citizen. He started to paint in 1942 at the Yarkon Studio. In 1957, he received a scholarship to study at the Academy of Fine Arts in Florence. In 1961-1962, he spent a year studying and painting in Paris. The rest of his life he spent living and painting in Beirut. In his lifetime, Guiragossian became Lebanon's most celebrated painter. Upon his death in 1993, Guiragossian received a state funeral.
- 1219 Death of Armenian King Levon the Second (Kingdom of Cilicia).
- 1817 General Yermolov, Commander of the Caucasian forces and Governor of the Caucasus, stops in Echmiadsin on his way to a mission in Persia.
- 1869 Death of the Armenologist Victor Langlois. He translated Armenian historical sources into French under the sponsorship of Noobar Pasha.
- 1900 Death of Hovhannes Aivazovsky (seascape artist) in Feodosia (the Ukraine). He was born in 1817.
- 1916 The "France-Armenie" committee is organized in Paris. Members of the Academy and other political figures are members.
- 1917 The First Assembly of Western Armenians opens in Yerevan under the Presidency of General Andranik.
- 1919 The Publication of Constantinople's Extraordinary Military Tribunal's decision about the perpetrators of the deportations of Booyook Dere's (Constantinople's district) Armenian population.
- 1930 Creation of the Kanaker Power Station.
- 1965 Death of Hrachia Kochar (writer and public figure). He was born in 1909.