ARMENIA, ISRAEL EXPAND COOPERATION IN AGRICULTURE
- Armenia and Israel are going to sign a cooperation agreement in agriculture, Israel's Knesset MP, Minister of Agriculture Orit Noked said in Yerevan.
"I'm sure we will not only sign a cooperation agreement, but also manage to implement all its provisions," Israeli minister said during the meeting with her Armenian counterpart Sergo Karapetyan on April 16 thanking him for a warm reception.
Noked invited Karapetyan to visit Israel in May voicing hope that the Armenian minister will come to their country despite the upcoming parliamentary elections in Armenia on May 6. Israeli MP said she is going to visit Armenia again in fall 2012.
The Israeli official further noted that the parties agreed to create a working group for a follow-up of the issues discussed within the framework of the bilateral cooperation.
For his part, Minister Karapetyan said he discussed several issues with his Israeli counterpart, in particular, development of cattle-breeding and fishery, in the context of exchange of experience and application of modern technologies, as well as development of greenhouse facilities. The agenda included consultation and staff training issues as well.
"Our relations with Israel were not quite developed yet, and the minister's visit will promote further expansion and deepening of these ties," Karapetyan emphasized highlighting the importance of cooperation in other branches of economy as well.
The Israeli delegation will also meet the Armenian Prime Minister Tigran Sargsyan and Catholicos of All Armenians His Holiness Karekin II.
Besides, the delegates will visit Yerevan Brandy Company, Matenadaran (the museum-institute of ancient manuscripts), and lay a wreath to the Armenian Genocide memorial.
- 1879 Death in Moscow (Russia) of Stepanos Nazaryan, editor of the "Aurora Borealis". He was born in 1812.
- 1918 The "Messenger Book" daily is published in Tbilissi (Georgia): the first Soviet newspaper in Armenian.
- 1923 The Soviet of People's Committee of the Armenian SSR creates the State Cinema of Soviet Armenia (HayFilm).
- 1953 Academician Hrachia Atcharyan (linguist) dies in Yerevan. He was born in 1876.
- 1958 Death of composer Vagharshak Srvandztian.
- 1959 The Armenian SSR Supreme Soviet confirms the new Education Policy of Armenia.
- 1984 The US House of Representatives accepts a resolution (number 247) requesting that the Government announce that 1985 04 24 be designated a "National Day of Commemoration of Man's Inhumanity to Man".
- 1984 The Permanent People's Tribunal recognized the Armenian Genocide.
- 1998 An international seminar took place in the Sorbonne (Paris) on the Armenian Genocide. It was organized by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation Party and financed by the See of Cilicia.