TWITTER, YANDEX TEAM UP FOR REAL-TIME SEARCH
- Twitter and Russian search engine Yandex have agreed a partnership that will allow Yandex to show new tweets in its search results almost instantly, as Twitter becomes an increasingly important source of real-time information.
Reuters reports that Twitter will give Yandex access to its so-called firehose of all public tweets, the two companies said on Tuesday, in an agreement similar to the one the social short-messaging site has with Microsoft's search engine, Bing.
Anton Pavlov, Yandex's blog search manager, said in a statement: "People share news, exchange opinions and discuss all sorts of matters in real-time all the time. This kind of information will help us enhance our search results."
Yandex has about 60 percent market share in Russia, ahead of Google with about a quarter of the market, although global leader Google has recently begun to erode its lead.
Google no longer partners with Twitter, favoring its own fledgling Google+ social network for social search results.
Asked about a possible renewal of a partnership with Google, Twitter's Underwood said: "Anything's possible, but there's not really an update to provide there at this time."
Twitter has more than 100 million active users and 400 million visitors per month. Its valuation tops $8 billion, even though it has not yet established a money-making model.
Google+, which is more akin to Facebook than Twitter, has 90 million users.
Twitter and Yandex declined to give financial details of their agreement. Microsoft has been reported to have paid $30 million for its deal with Twitter.
Yandex reaches about 2.8 percent of global Internet users, according to Web metrics firm Alexa, while Bing reaches about 3.4 percent.
- 1834 Birth of Friedrich Miller, German armenologist. He died in 1898.
- 1882 Abgar Hovhannisyan edits the "Echo" newspaper in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1902 Death of Alexander Yeritsyan (armenologist). He was born in 1841.
- 1919 Death of Levon Manvelian, writer and author of the "History of Armenian Literature".
- 1926 Birth of Metaksia Simonyan (actress).
- 1944 A German firing-squad in Paris executes Missak Manooshyan, member of the French underground forces.