SCOTT BROOKS TO COACH WESTERN CONFERENCE ALL-STARS
- Oklahoma City Thunder head coach Scott Brooks will coach the Western Conference All-Stars for the 2012 NBA All-Star Game, to be played on Sunday, Feb. 26, at the Amway Center in Orlando.
With Oklahoma City's 101-87 win over the Utah Jazz on Friday, Feb 10, the Thunder (21-6, .778) has clinched the best record in the conference through games played Feb. 15.
Brooks earned Western Conference Coach of the Month honors for games played in December/January, and his team owns a 9-1 mark at home.
Brooks has led the Thunder to back-to-back playoff appearances (2010, 2011) for the first time since 1997 and 1998. Brooks, the 2009-10 NBA Coach of the Year, owns a 148 -112 (.569) career record as a head coach. San Antonio's Gregg Popovich coached the West All-Stars last season.
The coach of the East All-Stars will be determined by the team with the best record in the conference through games played Feb. 15. The Boston Celtics' Doc Rivers, who coached last year's East squad, is not eligible to coach this year's All-Star Game.
The 2012 NBA All-Star Game will air live on TNT and ESPN Radio in the U.S., and reach fans in more than 200 countries and territories in more than 40 languages, NBA official website reported.
- 1818 Birth of Anton Garagashyan (historian) in Constantinople. He died in 1903.
- 1829 Alexander Griboyedov, Russian Ambassador in Iran, poet and a friend of the Armenians, falls victim to Fateh-Ali Shah's brutal attack.
- 1841 Birth of Patriarch Malachia Ormanyan in Constantinople. He died in 1918.
- 1882 Birth of Garsoev (Garsoyan). He was a military figure, and a Professor of Naval Science. His rank was Captain, Second Level.
- 1884 Birth of Ashkharabek Kalantar (Lorees Kalantar) in Ardvee (Loree Province). Thanks to this professor of armenology, archeology, and history, many scholarly materials, including Anee's archeological collections, have survived.
- 1936 Birth of Paulo Cuneo, Italian architect and art critic. He was one of the founders of the Medieval Armenian Architecture Department at Rome University.